Friday, January 16, 2009

Happy Baking

As stated in my blog, "From My Kitchen to Yours" I love to cook and bake. I have had so many comments and e-mails about the bread that I made that I thought I'd share it with you. I'm not an expert cook but I can follow instructions easily. Usually I can look at a recipe and then make some changes if I want to. Since trying to lose those last 15 pounds of, what I like to call, marriage weight I have tried to revise recipes to fit my healthy lifestyle. Here is the orginial recipe that I found on all recipes website. 

Buttermilk Oatmeal Bread
1 c. rolled oats
1 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1 egg
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

1. Mix oats with buttermilk. Let stand for 1/2 hour.
2. Stir oil, egg, and brown sugar into oat mixture. Stir together flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Mix into oat mixture. Pour batter into a greased and floured 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pan.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F for 55 to 60 minutes or until done. 

Here is my revision of the recipe. Let me know if you bake it and how you like it and if you do something different. 

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Oatmeal Bread
1 c. rolled oats
1. c buttermilk
1/2 c. (slightly less) olive oil (I used this because I didn't have other oils. I usually use canola.)
1/4 c.  all natural apple sauce
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. dried cranberries (raisins, nuts, just about anything would be great to add)

NEXT time I will add some flax seed too. I forgot this time. 
Prepare as above. I used two mini loafs instead of one big one. Turned out great. A little crumbly because of it being oatmeal bread. But, very moist. Especially with the apple sauce! 

Happy Baking!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails