Tuesday, January 13, 2009

From my kitchen to yours

I love to cook and I love to bake. Usually people either like to bake or like to cook. But, I really enjoy doing both. I love the smells that fill my entire house when I am baking something that has cinnamon in it. It just makes me feel so secure and "at home". It really reminds me of my grandmother's house. The way her house would smell around Christmas time. I remember having the best conversations with her in her kitchen. She would be busy with throwing stuff in her Kitchen Aide and I would be sitting at the bar talking away. Those are some of my greatest memories of my grandmother. She died when I was 16 and I never really got to have the MAJOR conversations with her. Give her all the details about my boyfriend who would become my fiancee' and eventually my husband. Or sit at the bar with my big pregnant belly and discuss names or what dress she would be making for them at their dedication. She was a woman of a lot of creativity. Something I think was passed down from her to all of the woman in her family. My cousins are very creative people. My aunt is great at throwing a party that makes you wonder, "How'd she do that?" And my mom is, well maybe it is because she is my mom, but she reminds me of my grandmother the most. Even now I sit at her bar and talk to her over the Kitchen Aide (which is my grandmother's) mixing up something. Many great conversations always happen in the kitchen. It got me thinking today about how I will one day get those moments with my own daughters. I will be cooking something or mixing something up and they will be sitting at the kitchen bar talking about the latest happenings in their life. Then eventually we will sip our hot tea and eat whatever hot bread, cookie, or cake had just come out of the oven and I hope it will generate a love for the art of cooking and baking.
I can't wait for those moments. Today I whipped up some potato soup in my crock pot and then made up some whole wheat buttermilk oatmeal bread with dried cranberries. They look so good. I can't wait for Bryan to get home to taste it all. He loves it when I bake and cook. It just feels us all with that "at home" feeling that only comes from some good home cooked meals! Happy baking and cooking everyone. 

1 comments:

Aimie said...

I just ate and your blog made me hungry! Now I will have to do the same for my husband!

Related Posts with Thumbnails