Monday, January 26, 2009

God's voice or Grace's plea

For Christmas we got Grace a great devotional book called "My First Message" by Eugene Peterson. It has been the greatest gift she ever received. It has been become the staple item for each night before bedtime. Every night right before she goes to bed either me or her Daddy will sit with her on the couch and read one of the very vivid and colorfully illustrated stories out of her Bible. At any given moment during the story time you can look at her and see her taking in every word like a sponge. The wheels in her head are turning and turning fast! 

One of her favorite stories is about Samuel. She will ask for me to read it to her over and over. Not sure what she likes about the story of Samuel but after our discussion one day, I think I know. This is how the discussion began....

"Mommy, when Samuel woke up it was God calling him not Eli, huh?" 
"Yes, Grace it was God. But, Samuel didn't know that, did he?"
"No, Eli told him to go back to bed." Grace says and then begins to talk really fast and say, "But, Mom, when God talks to me he will tell me to get up and to listen to him and I will tell God okay. Then I'll come in and ask you if it was you and you'll tell me to go back to bed but God will tell me to get up and I'll go ask you about it and you'll just tell me to go back to bed but God talks to me and tells me to get up so I'll get up and listen to God because he is God and we should listen to God so you have to let me up out of bed because God told me so." 

Yes, this is correct ladies and gentlemen! My 3 1/2 year old daughter is using the story of Samuel to find a BRILLIANT excuse to get out of bed. She knows that I can't argue with God!! I wonder what other excuses she'll find! Let's hope she doesn't decided it's okay to start bringing in a bunch of animals into the house because GOD told Noah! 

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails