Thursday, July 22, 2010

Fix it, Jesus

Last month I opened up about my struggle with PMDD. I got a lot of feedback from many of you out there saying that you also, although silently, struggle with it as well. It was extremely peaceful to know that I am not alone in my feeling of "craziness" for 1 week out of the month, each and every month.

This month I've been very aware of my emotions. My ups. My downs. And I've taken those emotions into my own hands. I decided that if our minds control our bodies, then they must control our hormones as well. So I tried something that I didn't even tell my husband about. Positive thinking. I have to laugh at not telling my husband this. It wasn't because I thought he'd laugh at me. It was because he has talked to me about this for YEARS! I agreed with him to a point but then laughed at him past that point. "OKKKKAY Mr. Tony Robins," I'd say. It worked though. That and a lot of other things I tried. If you are my mom, please excuse my complete openness of this blog. If you are my mother in law, please excuse me. If you are someone who gets embarrassed easily, don't read any further. I'm open but it is in that openness that I hope some of you will find to be helpful in your own life.

1. I've been working out 5-6 days a week. I either do elliptical, run/walk outside, or put on a Pilate's dvd. I've also upped the amount of time I workout. I've been shooting for 45-60 minutes. It seems to have made a difference in my overall feeling of health. And I've lost a few pounds.

2. I've had a lot of sex. Yes, I have. I read something awhile back about how sex can be a huge stress reliever and that it also helps with the balance of hormones. SO, I thought, WHY NOT?! I committed myself, without telling my husband although he has been one happy man this month, to 4-5 times a week. Some of you might think, "WOW that's a lot." While some of you might think, that's normal. I'll just leave this topic at this, having 3 kids and the youngest at only 4 1/2 months, 4-5 times is a lot. But, you know what it did for me? It made me more in love with my husband, first of all. It made our connection that much greater. It also made me more aware of how I talked, treated, and responded to my husband in those "emotionally" unstable moments. If I can control these emotions around my kids, then why can't I around my husband? I mean, after all, he was getting the brunt of this PMDD crap! Not fair to him, not fair to me, and not fair to us.

3. I drank Republic of Tea's Get a Grip tea. I found it at the health food store. I've been drinking 2 cups of either that tea, green tea, or Tension Tamer tea. I have to say that I think that it has helped. It is calming. Gives me a moment to just breathe.

4. Starting each day with a scripture. I've been reading a short devotional every day and this has been a big thing for me. I will uncover a scripture that I'll run over and over in my head that day and I will meditate on the scripture and forget about my problem. This, by far, has been the best thing for me because I've come to that place with Christ where it's not about me!

It's hard, even still. There are those moments when I feel like I'm going to lose it. There are still those moments when I scream into a pillow because I feel like going crazy. But, this month there has been more calming moments. There has been more moments where I find myself in thoughts of how much I'm loved. I remember being in counseling a very long time ago and Mr. Fent told me, "You are loved and you are lovable." I've never forgotten that. PMDD tells you you are worth nothing. It tell you, at times, that you have nothing to give and how could anyone love you the way you are. My friends, this "disorder", "hormone imbalance", or whatever you or I would like to call it, is NOT of Christ. He took this disorder the day he was nailed to that cross. I've been declaring my healing of this throughout this month and I feel it happening. I'm not the "name it and claim it" type of person but I am claiming my healing from this PMDD that likes to creep in like a thief in the night. I will not let it run my life. And you don't have to either. Find what works for you. Above all else, lean on the creator of your body, mind, and soul. "Fix it, Jesus."

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails