Friday, July 9, 2010

I save the world from disaster!
























There I was standing in a group of people from a world that was foreign to me. They spoke in terms of "returns" and "lock boxes". I would shake my head but the entire time nothing but a "Friends" episode was playing in my head. You know the one where Joey buys an Encyclopedia because he's tired of just nodding along with his friends acting like he knows what their talking about but doesn't. I was Joey. After a lot of nodding and using my "work laugh", also from a Friends episode, I got the question. If you're a stay at home mom, you know what I'm talking about.

"So, what do you do?" The variety of different ways to answer this question flooded my mind. Which one do I pick?

"I clean poop all day!"

"I'm teach colors and shapes to the first woman president!"

"I'm enriching the lives of Americans by make sure that I raise good citizens."

"I do it all, that's what I do!"

But, I quickly responded with a smile and a "I'm a stay at home mom of 3 girls." Then the response that most people give that don't really "get it", "Oh." They smile and move on to the next person because they think they don't have anything more to say to me.

This got me wondering. How can I answer that question with more than just the general, "I'm a stay at home mom" answer? It just doesn't seem to do, what I really do all day much justice. So, what's your answer to this question.

"So, what do you do?"

1 comments:

Unknown said...

It would be such a wonderful world if we didn't have to defend our choices to people who don't make the same choices as us. Plus, if working mothers and stay-at-home mothers would work together, maybe a great deal could be struck. Respect.

Related Posts with Thumbnails