First let me start by saying that in our house we are "equal opportunity". I cook because Bryan sucks at it. I stay home with the kids because I want to. I believe in equality in the home. I don't believe that God made one higher or "over" another. I do not bring Bryan tea while he sits in his chair that is pointed directly towards the tv. If he wants tea, he usually gets it himself. If he wants tea and I'm in the kitchen, sure, I'll get him some. Bryan treats me with just as much respect, if not more, as he'd treat any other man or woman. I'm his wife. He is my husband. We live together because we committed our lives to one another. To SERVE one another. We've found that in our home, that means each of us pulling our own weight then pitching in to help each other out. Bryan and I work together on just about every issue, task, or job in our home and with our kids. Bryan gets up almost every night to feed the baby and lets me sleep. This isn't come kind of conspiracy. He does it mainly because its his only time to spend one on one with the baby for most of the week. He gets home from work and is able to spend a little over a hour with her before she goes to bed. Also, he does it because one of my weaknesses is sleep. I have to have it or I get sick. He knows this and does it because he loves me. I clean most of the time. First of all, I'm a stay at home mom, I should be the main one to clean. I'm home, he's not. He's working OUTSIDE the home and I WORK inside the home. The only difference, besides the paycheck, in our work is the kind of work it is. At the end of the day, he's tired and wants to come home. At the end of the day, I'm tired and want to leave. It's a catch 22 because one of us are always having to compromise.
Bryan hates to iron. He isn't a planner. He is a last minute kind of guy and that really annoys me to no end. I think we'll be old and gray and it will still annoy me. There is plenty that I do that annoys him. Like having to plan everything to the 15th detail. Yeah. That's annoying to him. But, we compromise. I've been working on seeing things that he lacks strength in and filling in those gaps. So, I iron his clothes. As much as I hate the picture in my head of the lady with a hankie tied around her head to catch the sweat beads with a big heavy iron in her hand and 5 kids running around her, I'm ironing. I hate to iron. But, I do it because when my husband gets up in the middle of the night to feed the baby and I snooze right through it without care, I want him to know that I appreciate the thought. I want him to know that I see his love in action. I want him to know that no matter what our roles are in our home, I am his wife. I'm his woman. I'm the one he can depend on to be there and to show him love through it all. So, I iron. You're welcome, honey.


0 comments:
Post a Comment