Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Reality

The reality of life has begun to set in for my 5 year old daughter. Last week she asks me, "Is the stuff on tv real?" I tell her as honestly as I could that most of what is on tv is not real. Then today she asks if Santa and Rudolph are real. My mind races while she stands there staring at me for the answer to her question. I tell her simply that just like all the characters on tv such as Dora or Blue that Santa and Rudolph are also something that we enjoy having fun with during Christmas time but that, no, it is not real.

I feel sad for some reason. Maybe its because of the knowledge that my little baby girl is growing up. Or maybe its because I want to see her keep the imagination world alive as long as possible. That's where dreams come true. That's where the princess finds her prince. That's where all things are possible if you only believe in fairies. She doesn't know that the dawn of reality that is beginning to form in her mind is filled with more disappointments than she can count. She doesn't realize that the reality that what the world has to offer is filled with hate, hurt, and horror.

Then I let me mind play in the other direction. Reality is also where I find myself wrapped in the arms of my loving husband. Reality is where I live daily and get to feel the soft breathe of my baby snuggling in my neck. Reality is where the bills come in piles out of the box outside my door and where God provides favor to pay them all. Reality is where all things are possible if you believe in Jesus. Reality is where miracles happen to the dying. Where mountains are moved by faith and bad choices are erased by grace. So, maybe reality is worth knowing about. Because even in reality, dream do still come true.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails