Sunday, November 2, 2008

Memories; Redefined

I heard of some tragic news about 2 months ago that really stung my heart. Scott Jett, who was once the director of Shapes Mentoring and a new professor at CBC, died in a horrible motorcycle accident. The part that really shook me up was that he left behind a wife with 4 children and another on the way. This mom of 5 has been on my heart since I heard about them. I have prayed for them and tonight, at church, I met them. We had our annual Missions Convention and the Jett family were a focus family for a special gift giveaway. It was really neat to watch the kids getting new bicycles, coats, and other toys. I sat watching this family in complete awe and heartache. Why her? Why them? None of it makes sense. And why not me? 
Add Image
My husband Bryan drives 40 minutes one way every day to work. It is a windy highway and I worry about him constantly. This woman's story could so easily be mine. Or even yours. It makes me stop and listen more carefully to his stories. It makes me want to pocket away the smell of him when he comes close. It makes me stare a little longer and breathe a little deeper. It makes me savor his touch and hold onto his hand tighter. It makes me smile a little wider when he does something silly.  To not take anything for granted would be exceptional. Not taking for granted the warm body laying next to me in bed and the inevitable snoring.  The "I love yous". The phone calls during the day just to know how I am. I want to treasure each and every moment with my husband. Not taking for granted that he lets me sleep in every other morning. Not taking for granted that he gives me back rubs. Not taking for granted our time together in long talks over hot tea. Not taking for granted the father he is to my girls. Not taking any of it for granted. I know I will, I am only human. I wish I wouldn't though. I wish I was a good enough person to never get mad at him again for his procrastination. Or to not get annoyed at him gulping his drink. I wish I would never again roll my eyes at his jokes or push away his untimely advances. I wish I could savor the moments both good and bad. I will try to hold on to every memory; memories redefined. 


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails