Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My 411 on Stocking Stuffers

I subscribe to a magazine every year for Christmas. I love to lay in the tub with a cup of hot tea, turn the jets on, and relax with my magazine. It is a major "ME" time that I take every once in awhile. I received my new "House Beautiful" in the mail the other day and began to soak up the info in the tub last night. I got to the "special feature" of the "101 Stocking Stuffers" and got excited. I love stocking stuffers and am always looking for unique things to put in the girls stockings. As a kid I remember running into the living room and heading straight for my stocking. I loved pouring it all out and going through all the prizes. It is like opening up a Cracker Jack box x 10! I always got things like little bottles of lotion, speciality lip gloss, a nail file with flowers on it, maybe a small bottle of perfume, sticky notes with a "K" on them and my latest favorite from last year, an iTunes gift card. As much as I love the stocking part, nothing in there is over $20. But, that is the fun of the stocking. It isn't how much was spent as much as it is all the little treasures. My mom still makes the stocking lots of fun and it is still one of my favorites parts of Christmas morning. 

So, you can imagine my disappointment when I started looking at the 101 things that "House Beautiful deemed as good stocking stuffers. I am not sure how everyone else lives but, well just take a look and tell me what you think?



1837 Tape Measure in Sterling Silver
$225, Tiffany & Co.

Mustard Mini Make-Up Brush Roll
$365, Smythson

Caramel-Filled Chocolate Dominoes
$45, Williams-Sonoma


Fenway Park Pen
$260, Neiman Marcus


Now, don't get me wrong. If you have the money to spend $365 on a stocking stuffer, be my guest. But, I do not have that kind of money to spend on a GIFT much less a stocking stuffer. Get a clue, House Beautiful. Here is my stocking stuffer ideas for all the REST of us:


Crabtree & Evelyn Bath Set
$13.20 

All Performance Fleece Scarf
$5.00 Old Navy

iTunes Gift Card
$15, Apple.com

Cranberry Shimmer Lip Balm
$5.60, The Body Shop


M&M's Premiums
$3.99, Target









3 comments:

Bloggin' Mama said...

Hahaha! Do they really think their readers are ALL wealthy (or willing to go into debt over a Christmas gift)? It's sickening to know how commercialized our society is.

This year will be the first year we are having a REAL Christmas (would have been last year, but we went to Australia instead....) and I'm looking forward to it!

I'm almost finished with the gifts and stockings!! Just need to think of something for my in-laws who are coming from Australia!

Jeweli Jett said...

Oh my goodness! A sterling silver tape measure? That cracks me up. Now the chocolate dominoes were really cute but not cute enough to spend forty five dollars. Apparently the magazine hasn't been informed of the ecomonic recession we are experiencing. Or maybe they know people who buy really really small stockings so that only one thing fits inside. HAHA! Or maybe that's the kind of Christmas' our 'public servants' (Congress, Senate, White House)have. Me? I am a huge stocking stuffer fan. Notice I said 'stuffer'. I like them overflowing with little treasures. Thanks for sharing. I needed a good laugh.

Amy's Stocking Stuffers said...

I'm with you -- if I could afford any of what they suggest, I could probably get the Victoria's Secret bra made out of diamonds too.

I like your idea of the Old Navy scarf. But since I live in Houston, that probably won't work... ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails