Friday, October 31, 2008

Trick? or Treat?

I grew up not really participating in Halloween the way most kids did. My parents were pastors at the local A/G church and most of the Halloween nights were spent in Fall Festivals or whatever the church had going on that year. We were always some Bible character. It seems that I had some scarf around my head almost every year pretending to be Mary. There were a few times, however, that Halloween would be on a different night than the church festival. And unlike most kids, we wouldn't dress up or go trick r' treating. We would anxiously stand at the door lurking out the screen with our arms full of candy to pass out. I remember it being lots of fun, but also remember wishing I could go with my friends in some funky costume to get my own candy. Bring my findings home and dumping it all out to see what all I had gotten. I remember hearing about an elderly lady down the street giving out quarters. MAN, I wish I could have at least gone to HER house.  I am not really completely sure why we were never allowed to participate in the traditional trick r treating festivities. I don't really even think my parents fully knew except that they had either read or heard that it was dangerous, evil, and non-Christian to be apart of such a holiday that associates with ghost and goblins. They were trying to protect their kids and just do the right thing by being the right kind of parent. I understand because I am totally there now! Now, I am the parent and am asking myself what is my stance on this fun yet somewhat questionable, at least to the church, holiday? 

To me Halloween is great because first and foremost, you get candy. I mean, come on! FREE candy.  There is something else that I think kids love about Halloween. It is being with their parents. Having their parents attention in dressing up. Spending that much needed time as a family going from house to house. If you don't go with your kids, I would encourage this practice. Plus, for one day it is totally acceptable to dress up in whatever you want. Even as I write this, I see my 3 year old watching tv in her princess dress with crown on her head and magic wand in hand. It isn't even 9:00a.m.! Today she can walk around as a princess and it be "socially" acceptable. Of course, this doesn't stop her from going to Wal-Mart in her princess dress any other day of the year. 

The questionable part of Halloween is the part that I read about online as the REAL meaning behind Halloween. Is letting my girls dress up and go knock on the neighbors house for candy evil? I don't think so. As we all know, every holiday has become so commercialized. I think my decision thus far is to let them participate like the other kids. Be apart of their community. But, eventually give them more information about what all goes on at Halloween and that, just like everything, there is a line that we do not cross. Just like believing in Santa. I am okay and even encourage their believe in the red suited grandpa, but will always put more reverence and importance in reaching out to others just like God reached out to us that First Christmas. But, that is for a different blog and a different day. 

Happy Fall! Happy Halloween! November 1st is my day to officially pull out the Christmas music and begin the actually holidays that I love and that mean most to me. 

1 comments:

Jeweli Jett said...

I LOVE candy. I have fond memories of running around the neighborhood, going from door to door, and hauling the goodies home for my parents to microscopically check over. Anything not store bought (including apples)were instantly thrown away, any wrappers that were disturbed in any way were also thrown out, and money was rarely ever found. I am old. I went with friends when it was still fairly safe to do so. Now parental supervision is required. And it can be so much fun. So I really appreciate the encouragement you shared for parents to go with their kids. It's a shame not to savor fun moments like trick or treat with them. And the kids are usually eager to share. YUM!

Related Posts with Thumbnails