Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Because I said so!


"Because I said so....." This is such a popular phrase that it became the title of a movie!  I am sure you have heard it before, right? There are things that my mom would say that I vowed I would never say and now I am saying them. When Grace is fussy and whining to me about watching a movie and I tell her "no"..........the ugly whining begins. "Why, Mommy?" and instead of explaining to her that I don't want to hear the noise right now of the tv and that she already watched a movie this morning and she doesn't need to watch another one because it will fry her brain, I tell her "because I said so!" Well, my oldest daughter is really just a cookie cut of myself and just like myself that explanation just isn't enough for her. So then we get into the 30 minute long "whaaaa session" that usually includes her being in time out until she stops whining and arguing with me. 

What do you do when your child is just like you and it irritates you to the point of exhaustion? When I look at her all I can see is that independent, self assured, and strong willed person that I am. I think of my past and get scared. I wasn't a horrible teenager but I sure wasn't the best! I did things I'm not proud of and only now does it scare me to death! How I can I prepare her to make the right choices? It is something that sends me to my knees. I guess right now I'll try not to worry too much about her turning 16 and just try to get her and I, both, in one piece to her turning 4! 

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails