Monday, May 17, 2010

Church Search

So far we've tried out 3 churches since moving here.

Church #1- This church is a church plant from the largest church in the Springfield, MO area. It is newer to the southwest side of Springfield. We had heard some good things about it, so we decided that since it was really in a convenient location for us, we'd try it out. First of all, it took us 20 minutes to check in our kids. You have to get your picture taken as if you're going through airport security. I'm all for security for my kids safety, but they went to an extreme in my opinion. After service was over, we had to stand in a really long time as 1 of 4 kiosk to get a printed "check out" paper for each of our children. This took another 15-20 minutes JUST to check them out. I didn't feel like they were as interested in ministering to my kids as they were your system they had going on and counting how many they had check in that day. The sermon was okay. I am not one of those people that interpret the Bible word for word. I think that God gives us a mind and that we ought to use it. I didn't get that from this pastor's message. Worship, on the other hand, was great. They did have a choir, which in my opinion, is outdated for a church of this kind. I just don't get it. All in all, I'd rate my experience at this church to be a C-.

Church #2- This church we already knew to expect to be more traditional then we were used to. But, we decided to go any way. We know the pastor personally and he is a great guy as far as what we know of him. His sermon lacked a lot of depth that Sunday morning. Again, worship was filled with a choir and your "older" modern worship blended with the traditional hymns. The thing that turns me off more than anything about this church is something that the pastor says every week. I'm paraphrasing, "If you are a visitor, after church get your picture taken and I'll put it in my book and next week, I'll greet you by name." Ummm, okay. I'd rather you not know my name by memorization but to actually get to know my name because you got to know me. The fact that you put my face in an album and memorize my name, doesn't impress me. I would rate my experience at this church to be a B. Only because it seems to have a great kids program which I am always impressed with.

Church #3- Came highly recommended by someone we respect and feel is in touch with what makes a good church. We had experienced this church a little over a year ago and wasn't impressed but we were willing to give it another try. This church has recently hired a new pastor that we were very impressed with. Upon getting the kids easily checked into the right places, we were greeted with a friendly man that was excited we were there. It wasn't as if he was excited because we were another number, but we felt a genuine excitement from him. Little did we know that that man was the pastor. The facility is very trendy and laid back, which we instantly felt good in. The worship needs some work. The man leading reminded me of Garth Brooks, which doesn't bode well for him. (I hate country music) The sermon was very good. It was well thought out, full of depth, and spoke to my heart. The people around us seems very friendly. We were standing trying to find a seat and had some people move over for us. Something you don't find just any place. These people were not stuck in their ways but we got a feel of just wanting to love of people. They care about their environment, which was something that bothered me about church #1 with using all those check in and check out sheets of paper every week. They offered a lot of different small groups that were attractive to me. This church made me feel like I had just gotten home from a long journey to put on my favorite comfy blue jeans and my big t-shirt. I give this church a B+. If the worship had been better, it would have been an A+.

These are just my opinions. I just want to go to a church that has real people with real problems with a pastor that is transparent in offering himself as real too. I don't want a bunch of fluff. I want depth. Jesus has depth and I want to be challenged in my relationship with him. I want to draw closer to him in my church experience. I also want a place where my kids are taught about the ways of Christ and that the stories they hear only enforce what they are already learning at home. I want them to experience something real and comforting.

Not sure where we'll go this next week. Maybe back to church #3. Not sure. But we are searching.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails