Monday, September 7, 2009

My rant for the day

I'm not a huge political person. When the presidential elections come around, I educate myself on the candidates and then decided which one I can vote for and still sleep at night. I don't like getting into political discussions with people for many reasons but mainly because I just don't care to argue things that neither of us can really do much about. You spend a ton of energy arguing over issues that you can either vote for or against but that is usually the extent of the "voice" that many of us have as Americans.

I don't agree with everything that our President does. I don't disagree with everything either. I try to keep a well balanced opinion to myself. Today, I can't help myself though. Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo News, even Momlogic has been putting headlines, comments, and tweets all about President Obama's speech to students tomorrow. Maybe it is just me, but I just don't see the point of this argument. I remember being in school when President George H.W. Bush gave his "back to school" speech but I couldn't tell you one thing that he said. Why? Because it was a moment in my life that made an impact simply because he was the president of the United States at the time, but the things I remember where the conversations that my parents would have about political, social, and local issues. As a teenager and very young adult my opinions were based on their opinions, as with most people at that age. This brings me to my entire point about the President's speech tomorrow. This will only be as big of a deal in your child's life, if you make it a big deal. Either negative or positive.

You can ask Grace who our President is and she will tell you, "President Obama". We will train our children to respect whoever is in the office and to pray for all of our government. I refuse to be one of those "right fighter" (and I do not mean right as in Republican) parents that makes mountains out of mole hills. I would rather talk to my kids about the neighbor that just lost their job and helping me to bring them meals. That is an area that I know I can make a difference that matters.

I will continue to vote. But, please excuse me as I push my chair back and exit the room from the discussion that contains nothing but disrespect and disregard. Your children will listen to someone, alright. It will be YOU.

1 comments:

Morgan said...

Those are good points. I could see both sides of the argument about letting the kids watch the speech.

Having read the script of what was to be said, it seemed fine to me. However, I can see how some would be upset about a possible political agenda behind it. Likewise, I can see why a lot of parents don't have a problem with it either.

Good post.

Related Posts with Thumbnails