Friday, May 1, 2009

Rants from Caffeinated Mom

I receive e-mail newsletters from various mom websites. A newest one that I just subscribed to really got me to thinking about the modern day mom. They title the left side of their newsletter "Today's Must-Have" I thought, "Um, really? Must HAVE?" So, I clicked on it and it took me to the picture you see. This hot pink bluetooth headset. I'm thinking this is a MUST HAVE? I guess I was expecting something to help me with my kids or some game for preschoolers, but a bluetooth headset? When have we as mom's gotten so ultra materialistic? Our kids have to wear Baby Gap or Gymboree because if your baby is wearing Target Circo, you just aren't cool enough. You get looks in the mall if you aren't pushing your baby in an ultra sleek posh stroller and of course it's really all about the diaper bag, right? I see those mom's in the play area look at each other's diaper bags in envy. (Mine is a Target Clearance item, thank you very much and I bet it stays cleaner than your Skip Hop because I don't care if I shove it in the washer. I only paid $9.99!) Then you pull out the baby bottle and they all look to see if you are sporting the new BPA free bottle or if you are going to be cheap. And the birp cloths? Why so fancy now? I love pretty things but ladies, the baby will THROW UP on it! There is no need to pay $39.99 for ONE personalized burp cloth. I mean, seriously? Just because I don't have my child in ballet or we don't go to a Little Gym class doesn't mean I am any less involved in the life and development of my kids. I'd rather invest in the heart and soul of my kids than the shoes on their feet.

Just a little rant from this Caffeinated Mom!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should get loads of comments on this one. :)

toni said...

You go, girl! I used fingertip towels for burp cloths for both my kids. They were pretty colors & a great size. I shopped at resale shops & the marked down rack at Babies R Us. There's a reason little ones prefer the boxes at Christmas. Parents, sit up & take notice!

Bloggin' Mama said...

I totally agree with you on this one? What is the purpose in my child wearing something expensive just so he can go outside and ruin it? I much prefer the less expensive cotton separates at Target and Walmart with a few niceer pieces for nicer occasions! And don't get me started on the fancy shmancy strollers, diaper bags and feeding accessories!! Great post!

Anonymous said...

Can you hear my sigh of relief all the way in Oregon? It's so nice to know I am not the only one who refuses to keep up with Mamma Jones!

Related Posts with Thumbnails