I've never seen zucchini as big as I've seen it here in Oregon. We have a garden at our church that we give fresh produce to people who need it, want it, or just simply love it. A couple weeks ago they had a table in the foyer giving away zucchini because they had so much of it. These zucchini were literally as big if not bigger than my dog, Angel, who is a Yorkie Poo and weighs 3 lbs. Maybe that's not saying much, but they were huge. I didn't pick any up that day because our neighbor had already given us quite a lot from his garden. So, today when I found myself feeling like bringing some "Fallness" in the house, I decided to try my hand at zucchini bread. As always, I take a recipe and then make it my own. I found using apple sauce instead of eggs in breads such as this makes a huge difference. It makes them moist and adds so much flavor. You are also eliminating some fat grams!
Zucchini Bread
1 1/2 C. all-purpose flour/whole wheat flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon, heaping
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 c. sugar
1 c. finely shredded, unpeeled zucchini (which I just blended into small bits instead of shredding)
1/4 c. oil
1/2 c. unsweetened apple sauce
1/4 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel, and squeeze some of the lemon in there too.
1/2 c. chopped nuts (optional)
1. Grease loaf pan, set aside. In a medium bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.
2. In another bowl combine the remaining ingredients and mix together.
3. Add dry mixture to the zucchini mixture. Stir just until moistened, batter will be somewhat lumpy. Fold in nuts.
4. Spoon batter into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack. Eat now or wrap up and store overnight for an even great taste tomorrow! Also, I think would do well to freeze.
ENJOY! I know I did!!


0 comments:
Post a Comment