Sunday, April 19, 2009

Are you a Tweet? Do you Twit? Or is it are you a Twit and you tweet?



When you type in the word "Twitter" in google over 372,000,000 results come up for something that didn't even exist before 2006!! At the Thompson house, we love technology. For example, my husband and I both have mac book's, iPhones, we own an ipod video, we twitter, we facebook, we text each other while we are close enough to play footsies. We search for places to have coffee so we can have free wifi, we lay in bed with our iPhones in our hands. We haven't picked up a paper phonebook in years. If a company isn't online, we don't use them. We use google so much that Grace has said, "Just google it, mom" and she isn't even 4. He does graphic design, I love photography and all the computer programs that have to do with the subject matter. I prefer digital scrap booking over the traditional cut and paste kind. My daughter, Grace, doesn't even know that a computer exist outside of it fitting on top of your lap. She thinks everything is touch screen and will try to touch the screens in gaming places that have buttons. My youngest, Hope who is 16 months old, knows how to use her finger to unlock an iPhone. We are the average American family. We are insane, really. But, it works. I think.

I have to ask myself the question as to why we are fascinated by all the "relational" technology. Everyone is now talking about Twitter. I follow Ann Curry on Twitter and get my news probably faster than most. I knew about the whole pirate ship thing before it was ever even a special report on tv. The first news report on the plane that landed in the Hudson River wasn't from Brian Williams. It was photographed with a phone and posted on Twitter and Twitpic. Brian Williams then picked it up from there. CRAZY? Ashton Kutcher has more followers than most countries have population! (over 1 million, by the way) WHY? Why are we fascinated with the distance technology brings to relationships? Or is it because we feel like we are closer to people because of it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm commenting from my MacBook.

NOT my iPhone.

See you on Twitter.

ilovepalmtrees said...

This is like Brad and I, but we aren't as cool as you guys since we don't have macs. Does it count that we are wanna be mac users? And I love Twitter for the fact that you can be able to feel closer to someone and know what's going on in their everyday life.

Bloggin' Mama said...

Michael asked me a couple weeks ago what Twitter is and how it works.... after I picked my jaw up off the floor I asked if he was serious! Oy, he lives a sheltered life in that office of his (all things like this (including web based email) are blocked by their servers/firewalls). I guess I would survive w/o Twitter, but sometimes just posting those simple 140 characters will suffice in a moment, rather than writing a blog post about something!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails