Today I was in a Target store dressing room trying on a pair of maternity jeans, which were so comfy that I had to buy them, when I heard some giggles in the dressing room next to me. Then I heard a conversation that made me smile. It went something like this,
"Do you like this tank top or this one?" says girl #1, "Ummm, that one" girl #2 expressed. "Well, I don't know. These pants are cute too. I could wear them with those shoes you have. You know the ones with the purple hearts on them." Girl #2 excitedly agrees. Then I hear a knock on the door next to me and a women's voice says, "Hey girls, its me, I found this too?" the door opens and I hear some shuffling going on while I am wondering how 3 people are fitting into the very small dressing rooms. Girl #1 says, "Mom, don't you just love that shirt on her!" Then I hear more talk of the same and am smiling in wonder at the conversation I'm hearing between, what I figured out, was a mother and her 2 daughters. The excitement, happiness, love, encouragement, and bond that these 3 females possessed made me nothing but excited.
I left my own dressing room with the 3 other girls still talking about scarves, boots, and color schemes in the room next to me. I clutched my items as I felt a slight nudge in my lower abdomen. Noel was giving me a "love pat". I smiled and hummed a little as I walked to the checkout line. I had just caught a glimpse of my future as the mother of 3 girls.
You see, I have this special bond with my mother. When I was younger we would both cram ourselves into a dressing room and ooh and ahh over each others fashionable outfit. Shoot, we still do this from time to time. There were two things that excited me about that "fashion show". First, the relationship between the mother and her daughters. Secondly, was the bond between the sisters. I somewhat understand this as I do have a sister. My relationship with my sister is very important to me but because of my sweet Jenni's learning disabilities I was always Jenni's caregiver. I have always taken this role very seriously. Jenni taught me a lot about being a sister. She taught me how to love. She taught me how to never judge a book by its cover. She taught me that no matter what, family is the most important in life. Jenni taught me how to be a mother in ways that only being her sister could. But, Jenni and I were robbed of the common bond of discussing outfits in the dressing room, sharing stories of school, experiencing marriage together and maybe even babies, because of a chromosome.
I hummed all the way out the door and got in my car. Looked back at the car seats in the back seat and prayed. I prayed that one day my girls would experience the love and special bond that only sisters can have. The God would even now bind them together with love and that even when they don't agree, they will learn to smile and accept the other no matter what. What a great gift my girls have as sisters and they don't even know it yet.


2 comments:
Very well written..so fun!! I did that with my mom and sister too!
Hi Kristen...so great to meet you! I so enjoyed visiting your blog today. Your Mom and Dad have been like family to me through the years...we have known each other since teen years in BA! (Guess I just told you my age, huh!)
Anyway...congratulations on daughter number three! There is just nothing on this earth that can come close to the Mother-Daughter relationship when it is clothed in Christ's love.
Stop over at my place sometime...anxious to get to know you better!
Bless you,
Susan
Post a Comment