God can be my friend? WOW. You mean to tell me that God is not just sitting up, wherever up is, somewhere on his throne with a big golden staff in a big golden chair with some massive crown of jewels laying on his head? You mean that God isn't just a judge but he is someone that I can have a real relationship with that is as real as my relationship with Jesus? If not more real? In my mind as I read through the pages of this book, I pictured my God as this being who is a Father beyond all description. One who corrects, but one who is always extremely proud of me. Knowing that I have that pride in God's eyes somehow changed apart of me on the inside. As if he said, "I like you, my Kristin."
I love how this book takes the traditional ideas of the conservative church world and completely turns them upside down. I love it when my thoughts are challenged and I love it when something makes me explore the scriptures in a different perspective. One of my favorite parts of the book is when 'Papa', aka God, is talking to Mac about good vs. evil. Asking the question of what we as humans determine what is good and what is evil? By our own perspectives? And how do we know that that perspective is the right one? Because we are Republican or Democrat? Because our mama said so? Now, I'm not trying to say that there is no definite good vs. evil in our world. But, in the traditional sense, who are we to take on the voice of God to tell others what is good and what is evil in their life? I, personally, just don't think that is our call to judge. I was very challenged to stop being the judge of what I think God really says and try to be the judge only in my own life.
I would encourage everyone to read this book. The love that spills out over the pages about a God who truly loves us more than we can comprehend is something that brought tears to my eyes several times. I'm so grateful that I can tell my girls about a God that doesn't just sit on his hierarchy throne, but a God that collects their tears and a God that wants to live deep in their souls.


0 comments:
Post a Comment