You can never go home again, but the truth is you can never leave home, so it's all right. ~Maya Angelou
Home is not where you live but where they understand you. ~Christian Morgenstern
Home is a place not only of strong affections, but of entire unreserve; it is life's undress rehearsal, its backroom, its dressing room. ~Harriet Beecher Stowe
Home is not where you live but where they understand you. ~Christian Morgenstern
Home is a place not only of strong affections, but of entire unreserve; it is life's undress rehearsal, its backroom, its dressing room. ~Harriet Beecher Stowe
We like to talk about home a lot. "Let's go home!" "Oh, I left it at home." "I'm so ready to just be home!" "Are you coming home for Christmas?" I think everybody associates home as a place. A building with a roof, pretty windows, and a kitchen table inside. Home for most of us is that place that we sleep. We bathe. We watch our favorite tv shows. Cook good meals. Do laundry.
As young adults we leave home and make a new home but then we go "home" for Christmas or for visits. Home is this term we use for places but I've thought about this word home a lot lately. I've moved around a lot. I've never owned a house. I don't have a town that I grew up in my entire life. There is no place that I consider to just be "home" as Dorthy fondly refers to in The Wizard of Oz, "There's no place like home." Some people say that your home is where your parents live. Well, my parents have lived overseas and now live in Missouri. I love to go for visits, but it's not home. Some say that home is where your heart is. I like this one. I think it is more accurate.
My home wakes up every morning to get up with our children. He makes them pancakes on certain days. My home makes the coffee and pours me a cup the moment I get out of bed. My home goes to work daily for his family and provides shelter, food, and plenty of love. My home loves to spend his time playing his guitar, writing books, or just being with me. He could move to Antarctica and I would follow him all the way there. He is my home. Home isn't a house. Home is certainly not a place. Home is my best friend and husband.


0 comments:
Post a Comment