Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Make me brilliance, God!! Just like my Grace!

One of my favorite times of the day is when it is bedtime for the kids. My reason for this is two-fold.

1) I start to see the light at the end of the tunnel of chaos from the day.

2) They say the cutest things in those moments that I cherish.

We have long since established bedtime routines with our girls. Ever since Grace was just a newborn, we would read to her, sing "Jesus Loves Me" while rubbing her arm (something Grammy started) and then put her to bed. We do the same with Hope now. They love that special time that we spend with them. Hope's bed time is a whole hour earlier than Grace's, so I love that we are able to spend that quality one-on-one time with them without the other sister coming in for the limelight, which so often happens with sisters only 2 1/2 years apart. Hope loves her bright and colorful books and is just beginning to point at pictures of dogs, cats, or cars and say the words. It makes my heart take flight in just those short simple words that she speaks.

Grace's routine is more intense simply because she is 4 and is very advanced in her vocabulary. Ever since Christmas, when she received this book as a gift from us, we have read "My First Message Bible" to her almost every night. She loves it. We love it. That book has spoken things into my heart when I needed to hear them. Grace knows Bible stories that I don't even know that well, until now of course! Tonight we read the story of Jesus riding into Jerusalem on the donkey and going into the temple and getting angry with the money changers. There is always a focus at the end of the short and colorful stories. Tonight the focus was anger. The little cricket had us pray about anger and talk about what makes us angry. Now, if any of you know my Grace all that well, you know that Grace has a temper! Usually she gets angry over little things like her blocks fall over, or her juice box not opening up right, getting poop on her leg, or something trivial like that. Well, the poop on the leg might make be get a little flustered too, so I'll give her that one. Her anger is something that we have talked about and she is beginning to understand that it is not okay to scream and yell when something doesn't work out the FIRST time you try it. (something she gets from her daddy, but you didn't hear that from me!)

After her Bible story, I had her and I sit facing one another on her bed. We held hands and I asked her what makes her angry. She shared with me that when something doesn't do what she wants, it makes her angry. I was kinda taken back by her honest understanding of what makes her angry. Then she tilted her head and asked me, "Mama, what makes you angry?" So, I told her that when I don't feel like I'm being heard or understood, that makes me angry. She then admitted to not listening to me at times, and I told her that it was okay. I forgive her. Then I had a great idea. I told her that I was going to pray for her and her anger. Then I wanted her to pray for me and my anger. She liked this idea, which I was surprised at since she has never shown much interest in praying before.

We held hands and I prayed for her and asked God to help her with her anger and to give her a peace in place of those angry feelings. Then I said, "Grace, it's your turn to pray for me now." She looked up to the ceiling with her eyes wide open. I shut my eyes slightly as to not let her know I was looking at her. She began praying, "Jesus, I pray for mommy. She needs help with her anger. Make her beautiful, God. Give her peace instead of anger. Help her to make the good choices like you tell us to. Make my mommy brilliance. Amen."

With gentle tears in my eyes, I tucked her into bed and kissed her good night. Out of the mouths of babes. How much God must be smiling right now. I know I am.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails